Two more short chapters
August:
Adjustments
Chapter 7
I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow at noon, where they will do tests on me, and tell me whether I’m truly pregnant or not. Mom doesn’t know that I went to Planned Parenthood with Mandi, so she wants me to have another test done. They’re doing plenty of tests on me tomorrow anyways, so I figured might as well have another done. Also, I have decided that tomorrow I will break the news to my dad and my sister.
********
“There’s no doubt about it, you’re pregnant, Kristen.” That’s what the doctor told me.
That was obvious. I’m going to have my first ultrasound the week after school starts. They’re also going to do tests to find out if there are any health concerns. On the 10th of next month I’ll be three months along. My due date is between March 25th and April 7th. Between late October and early November I’ll be half way along, and I’ll be able to find out the baby’s gender.
On the way home I told my mom that I was going to break the news to dad and Patricia.
“You sure you’re ready for this?” my mom asked, “You can’t tell Patricia the same thing you want to tell dad. Patricia doesn’t even know what rape is yet.”
“ I know that mom,” said as we parked in the driveway.
When the two of us walked into the house I could hear my dad and my sister talking in her bedroom. She was telling my dad how she wanted her room decorated.
“This one,” She said pointing to a picture of a room with hot pink walls and a hello kitty bedspread on a bed with a white frame. “No, wait this one!” she pointed to another picture where the walls were lime green with pink Hawaiian flowers.
My mom finally chimed in “There’s some news we need to tell you.”
I hesitated for a moment.
“Patricia,” I asked “Is it okay if we bring daddy out of the room for a moment? We’ll bring him right back.”
“Why?” she asked.
“We need to talk to him about something,” my mom said “We’ll bring him back in when we’re done, then we have to talk to you.”
“Did I do something bad?” she asked.
“No, Patricia it’s about your sister.” My mom explained.
“Was Kristen bad?” she asked again
“Well, not exactly, no, Patricia.”
My mom and I brought my dad into the living room, and I turned up the TV a little bit.
“You know that party with Kateena and Cassidy?” I asked
“What about it?” my dad replied.
“Well, there was alcohol. I had a little bit, only a mixed drink, and I did something really stupid.”
My dad looked disappointed “I thought we taught you better,” he replied “But go on, what else did you do?”
“I had to go to the bathroom, so I gave Cassidy my drink. I have a feeling she put something in it, because after I came back from the bathroom I don’t remember what happened next. I just remember waking up in just my t-shirt, next to a complete stranger, and I was raped.”
I could see an angry look glaze over my dad’s face.
“Whose the son of a bitch that hurt my little girl, Kelly?” asked my dad.
“I don’t know. All I know is that I’m pregnant. I’ve taken three tests. All of them were positive.”
I could still see the anger in my father’s eyes, but it was slowly turning into disappointment. “Not my daughter,” he said, “You’re still a little girl Kristen. You can’t be having a kid yet.”
“Dad,” I said, “I’m already six weeks along.”
“Well, um,” my dad was speechless for a moment. “But, that asshole who hurt you is going to pay.” snapped my father.
“That is if we can find him.” I said.
“Oh, we will,” My dad, said, “We’ll find him and make sure he gets locked up for the rest of his life!”
If giving my dad the news wasn’t painful enough, telling Patricia wasn’t going to be any easier. I came back into Patricia’s room and took a seat on her bed. She was still paging through an interior design catalogue. She looked up at me and asked “What do you have to tell me, Kristen?
“Patricia,” I said, “I’m going to be having a baby.”
Patricia looked up at me, the stare on her face entirely blank. Our mom stood in the doorway as I spoke to my sister.
“But I thought only mommy and daddy could have babies together. You’re not mommy!” she replied.
I waved for my mom to come into Patricia’s room. “Does Patricia know where babies come from yet?” I whispered into my mom’s ear.
“Patricia, I’m going to talk to your sister for a second. We’ll finish talking to you in a little bit.”
“But mom, Kristen isn’t you. She can’t have a baby.”
“Hold on, Patricia,” my mom said as she brought me outside Patricia’s doorway.
“How much does she know?” I asked.
“I told her that babies are made when two people who love each other share a bed, and sometimes when they wake up they are given a baby that grows inside of them, and is born a few months later.”
“What should I say, about my situation?”
“Hmmm,” my mom pondered “We don’t want to confuse her, or tell her too much. After all, she’s only six. But, how does this sound? Sometimes a man and woman share a bed that don’t love each other, and the woman doesn’t want to share the bed with him, but because the man is too strong she can’t get away, and sometimes she still wakes up with a baby inside of her.”
“That might work. Thanks mom,” I said as I walked back over to Patricia’s bed.”
“You know what mom has told you about where babies come from,” she nods and I continue “But, sometimes the man and woman don’t love each other and the man hurts the woman, and she is given a baby to grow inside of her.”
“Did someone hurt you?” Patricia asked.
“Yes,” I replied
“What a meany head,” Patricia said “Mommy and daddy are gonna yell at him, right?”
“Not exactly, Patricia. You see, the way he hurt me he can go to jail. I’m still a child like you and it’s against the law for a man to try and make a baby with a child.”
“So he did something really bad to you, didn’t he?” my sister asked. She sounded sad.
“Yes, very bad.” I sighed.
“Well, I hope he goes to jail too,” Patricia said. She reached around to give me a hug “Nobody hurts my big sister.”
Chapter 8
School registration was today, and since the high school and elementary school were only a few blocks away my mom, Patricia, and I decided we would walk. My sophomore year of high school started in two weeks and Patricia would be entering the first grade.
A long row of paperwork and fliers lined the front entrance of the high school. Each piece of paper a different color. The white one was general information, and sat next to a stack of calendars. Next to that was the school picture order form followed by different flyers for open house, and different events at the school. Before any of that I still had to pick up a course book and scheduling information. My mom ran into the school office to pick up a booklet while I held our place in line.
At least fifty other students and parents were in front of us; I stood nervously glancing about the hallway. I was just another new student in the hallway, but soon I would start to have a baby bump. I pondered what other students would think about me while I stood in line holding my sisters hand. Teenagers clustered into groups with their friends. No one aknowleged me, but I figured that a lot of these people had known each other since grade school. I could hear gossip about their summers, some went on trips, some stayed home and worked, others just stayed home and spent time with their friends.
I didn’t have anyone to talk to, but my summer wasn’t so pleasant. I went to a party. Got raped. Got pregnant. Moved. I don’t think anyone could ask for a worse summer than that. Not that anyone cared, but it angered me to hear about everyone elses wonderful summers.
“You okay, Kristen?” Patricia asked.
“I’m fine, Patricia. I’m just mad.”
“Why are you mad?”
“See the big kids over there talking,” Patricia nodded “They’re all talking about their summers, and a lot of them went on trips and hung out with their friends, and some worked all summer.”
“You Hung out with Alicia and Mandi and you went to a party,” Patricia said “And we moved.”
“That’s it, Patricia. We moved. Moving and going on vacation are different. Moving is permanent and usually unpleasant. A Vacation is temporary and usually pleasant. Also, remember that I got hurt at that party, so it wasn’t very fun.”
“Oh yeah,” Alicia said “Well, I’m mad too. I’m mad that someone hurt you.”
By the time my mom returned with my course book Patricia and I had inched up a little bit in line. She handed me the thick spiral bound course book and a green selection form. “All we need to do is stop in the guidance office once you’re registered.”
I sat on a bench next to the gym doors that were across from the line of people. I started out with my core classes, since those I had to take. English 10, World History, Biology, Biology, and health II were all mandatory. So was gym, but I could choose between two different classes: Gym A and Gym B. Gym A included flag football, soccer, softball, and basketball. Gym B included tennis, swimming, tumbling, and Frisbee golf. Gym class has never been a favorite of mine since I’ve never been athletic, but Gym B caught my interest the most. If I wanted to go on to college I needed at least another year of foreign language so I decided to continue with Spanish and take Spanish II.
I still had enough room for 2 more half-credit classes. For each of those I chose intro to graphic design and Foods I. I figured those would be good choices for me, to take just for fun, and maybe learn a few things since honestly I have no idea what I plan on doing after high school. Come graduation I’m going to have a two year old little boy or girl, and I’m not sure what I’m going to be thinking about. College has been in my plan since middle school, but since I’m having a baby I might have to put that on hold.
When I stepped back into line to meet up with my mom and my sister there were just 10 people ahead of us. I handed my mom the course book and the form with my selections. Once our turn came we handed our forms to the woman at the table in front of us, who sent us down a hallway to the left so I could get my ID and yearbook pictures taken. After that we were sent to the guidance office where I would get my schedule. Everyone who signed up for courses in February already had their schedules mailed to them.
My mom and I walked into the guidance office. A long gray counter lined the front of it and a woman sat behind it. She looked about fifty with graying hair that hit her shoulders.
“Who would my daughter talk to about scheduling?” my mom asked.
“Could I get a last name?” the woman behind the counter asked.
“Thorne.” my mom replied.
“Last name is St-Z, she’d talk to Ms. Whittaker on the far right. I believe she’s still in her office.”
“Thank you,” my mom said as we turned to the right.
Ms. Whittaker was sitting at her desk, her eyes focused on her computer screen. She looked up as my mom and I walked in. Patricia sat in a chair outside of Ms. Whittaker’s office. She looked young and fresh out of college.
“I was told you could help schedule me.” I said.
“Could I get a name?” she asked.
“Kristen Thorne, with an “E” at the end. I’m new here,” I took a seat in one of the blue chairs in front of her desk.”
“What grade are you going into and where are you transferring from?” she asked.
“A sophomore, and Sheboygan North.” I replied. Ms Whittaker typed in the information and I handed her the form with my course selections. She unquenched in the code numbers for each of my courses.
“This look right to you?” she asked.
I glanced through the schedule, Health II, English 10, Homeroom, Geometry, Early Lunch, World History, Biology, Foods I, and French II.
“They’re all there,” I said as Ms. Whittaker printed out my schedule.
“Thank you for stopping by, and enjoy the rest of your day.”
“We will.” my mom said.
Our next stop was the elementary school. We walked across the street and sow Lindsey walking into the school with Kenzie and Levi.
“My new friends!” Patricia squealed as she ran up to Kenzie and Levi.
“Patricia!” shouted Levi.
“Nice seeing you guys again,” said Lindsey as we walked into the elementary school. “Registering your kids for school too?”
“Just finished getting Kristen registered, and now we’re getting Patricia taken care of.
“We’re going school supply shopping after I get Kenzie and Levi registered.”
“We’re going tomorrow.” My mom replied.
“We’re going to all be in the same class together, Patricia!” Kenzie chimed in.
“That will be so awesome!” Patricia said.
“You want to go outside and play on the playground?” Levi asked.
“I’ll ask my mom, Patricia replied. “Mom, can I go outside and play with Levi and Kenzie?”
“As long as Kristen keeps an eye on you guys.”
“I agree,” Lindsey chimed in “I don’t want you guys out there by yourselves.”
“Kristen,“ my sister begged “Will you go outside with us?”
“If you really want me to.” I replied.
“Please Kristen,” my mom said “Just keep an eye on them.”
“Fine,” I said “Come on guys lets go outside.”
Outside I took a seat on a bench near the playground while Kenzie, Patricia, and Levi ran towards a tire swing on the play ground.
“Push us, Kristen! Push us really high!” Patricia yelled.”
Reluctantly I got up. I really didn’t want to be outside in this heat, and being pregnant didn’t help.
“Okay guys,” I said “Hold on tight!” I started spinning the swing then pushed it as high as I could lift it. The three of them screamed in excitement, although watching the swing move back and forth nauseated me.
“Again! Again,” They yelled as the swing came to a stop.
“Okay, here it goes,” I said “I’m going to go even faster so don’t get sick!”
“We won’t!” Levi said “We like going fast. It’s the best!”
For the next thirty minutes I continued pushing them on the swing. I’d never seen my sister have this much fun with her friends in a long time. The whole time she was on the swing with Levi and Kenzie she was giggling, Laughing and having a great time. I wish I could’ve gone on without feeling sick.
Kenzie and Levi’s mom walked up to the playground “You’re great with them.” said Lindsey.
“Thanks,” I said shyly “I always watch Patricia and I used to baby-sit my neighbor’s little boy back in Sheboygan, but he’s only two.”
“Speaking of that, you’re mom told me you’re looking to earn some extra money. I was wondering if you could watch Kenzie and Levi every now and then. I’d pay you between $10 and $20 every time.”
“Sounds good, they’re such wonderful kids and Patricia loves being with them.”
“Great!” Lindsey replied “Your mom already gave me your phone number, so I’ll call when I need you.”
“Awesome!” I said.
“Kenzie, Levi! Time to go!”
“Can Kristen push us once again?” Kenzie asked.
“One more time, then we have to go and buy school supplies.”
“Ready?” I asked them “I’m going to go really, really fast this time! 1...2...3.” I gave the three of them another push on the swing.
“They’ll have so much fun with you as a sitter,” Lindsey said “And I’m sure that you’ll be a great mom when you decide to have children.”
“Really?” I asked shyly
“From what you mom’s told me and just seeing you with my kids, I can see you’re pretty good with them.”
“Uh, thanks, I replied thinking about the little life growing inside of me.
“Come on Levi, come on Kenzie we got to get going now.”
“Aw come on, mom.” Kenzie stammered.
“We have to go buy school supplies. You’ll get to see Kristen and Patricia later. Patricia’s going to be your new babysitter.”
“Really, asked Levi. “That’s so cool!”
“Bye Kristen! Bye Patricia, The three of them shouted as the walked back towards the elementary school.
Patricia and I followed a few feet behind them too meet up with our mom. While we tagged behind I looked down at my stomach to talk to the little one inside me.
“I hope I’m a good mother.” I whispered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment