Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Innocent and Pure Unlike me Chapter 15

I know it's been a while since I've updated thing, just haven't had the time to write, but due to financial issues I'm being forced to take a semester off of college I'm pretty sure I'll have the time I need to work on finishing the first draft of this story.

October....
Answers to the heart
Chapter 15

Adalyn and I sat at the dining room table, she twriled a few strands of spaghetti on a silver fork, still finishing her first plate of food while I'd inhaled two entire plates of the stringy pasta.
"Slow down!" said Adalyn.
"Can't," I replied "Eating for two now."
"Still, you're finished with two plates while I'm barely finishing one." Adalyn continued to twirl the pasta on her fork, when my mom walked into the kitchen.
My mother was holding the phone to her ear.
"Kristen," she said "It's the officer from Sheboygan, she wants to discuss a date for you to give a DNA sample."
I grabbed e phone from the grasp of my mother's hand.
"Hello?" I said.
"Hello, Kristen?"
"Yeah?"
"It's me Officer Smith from Sheboygan county, I was wondering what a good day would be for you to come down here for a DNA test. You mom said that you don't have school on Thursday or Friday at the end of the month, but I wanted to ask you as well to make sure one of those days would work out?."
I set the phone down for a second, "Mom, Thursday or Friday during fall break?"
"Probably Friday, don't you have an appointment on Thursday?"
"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I find out what I'm having on that Thursday," I picked up the phone again "Friday, around what time?"
"Well, the person doing the test is availiable around eight or noon, but I'm guessing you mom doesn't want to get up at 4 in the morning to come down here, and neither do you."
"Probably not, I'll ask about comming in at noon though," I put down the phone again "mom, how does noon on that Friday sound?"
"It shouldn't be a problem. I'll go write it on the calendar now."
I picked up the phone again, "Friday at noon shouldn't be a problem." I replied
"Alright, thanks Kristen. I'll talk to you then."
I clicked the off button on the phone and handed it back to my mother.
"So, what was that about?" asked Adalyn.
"I'm going down to Sheboygan the Friday after my birthday, and I'll be one step closer to finding out who my baby's father is."
"Awesome, I really hope that guy, or those guys that hurt you get punished severely!"
"Oh, I'll make sure they do, Adalyn, and I'll fight for full child support from the father. There's no way some complete stranger is gonna get me knocked up and not help me out somehow with raising this baby, even if I don't want him in the picutre because of what he did to me I'm still gonna expect that."
"Oh damn, Kristen, you don't mess around, do you?"
"Not at all, girl." I said as I picked up both mine and Adalyn's plates and put them into the kitchen sink.
"Adalyn," my mom shouted from the living room "come over here, I want to talk to you alone away from Kristen. Neither of you are in trouble. Just come over here."
Adalyn shrugged.
"I wonder what it could be about?"
"I don't know," I replied "Just see what she wants."
Adalyn went off into the living room. I could see my mother whispering in her ear, and a look of excitement on Adalyn's face.
"Hey, no listening Kristen," said my mother "Why don't you just go upstairs for a few minutes and I'll have Adalyn meet you up there when I'm done talking to her."
"Um, okay." I replied as I stormed up the stairs.
My birthday would be comming up in a week, so I wondered if the two of them were planning something for my birthday. Maybe my mom had bought me a a car since I go for my road test on my birthday, or even a bunch of baby stuff, or maybe they're just planning e a party, r looking further ahead and planning my baby shower? I have absolutely no idea.
At that moment, my cell phone stting on my nightstand vibrated and Hayden's name popped up on the screen with this message:
From Hayden: How r u?
I texted him back: I'm pretty good, and u?
Hayden:Good, just outside having a smoke? What u up 2?
Me:up in my room, waitina 4 Adalyn, mom had to talk 2 her bout sumthin.
Hayden: cool. Hear ur birthday's comming up, what day?
Me:The 24th
Hayden: Cool, I'll have 2 get u something
Me:U don't have 2
Hayden:But, I want 2. Ur so sweet. I feel obligated.
Me: Aw, really? Obligated?
Hayden: Duh! Ur one of the sweetest girls I've met n I kinda like you.
Me: Wait a sec, u like me?
Hayden:Obviously, ur so sweet, silly, and adorable.
Me:That's funny cause I kinda like u 2. It doesn't even bother u that I'm preggo?
Hayden: Not 1 bit, ppl get hurt n accidents sometimes happen. I'm not 1 2 judge. N 4 those guys who have a problem with that, well damn them to hell!
Me: lol, Hayden ur amazing.
I saw Adalyn storming up the stairs to my bedroom while I sat on my bed texting Hayden.
"Omigosh! Guess what, Adalyn?"
"What, Kirsten, what?"
"Hayden likes me!"
"Already knew that one, Kristen. I could see the signs."
"Damn, but anyways wat was my mom talking to you about?"
"Oh, nothing," said Adalyn "You'll find out soon enough!"
I was still grinning from the text messages Hayden sent me while I showed them to Adalyn.
"Wow," she said "He actually remembered that your birthday is comming up!"
"Yeah," I said "But I'm still a little shocked cause it doesn't bother him that I'm pregnant, and the kid's not even his!"
"Some guys don't have a problem with that, while it kinda scares others, you know? Maybe it has to do with the fact that Hayden's been surrounded by two women for most of his life. Maybe that's upped his desire to want children?"
"Sounds a little strange, but maybe it's true."

No comments: