Sunday, November 23, 2008

Innocent and Pure Unlike me Chapter 16

"Guess what you guys," I shouted to my mom and sister who were standing in the lobby of the DMV "I passed!"
"Way to go, Kristen, " my mom said wrapping her arms tightly around me in a hug "And your first try too, it took your dad and I each three tries before either of us could pass. I'm really proud of you, birthday girl."
Patricia chimed in "Does that mean sissy can drive me and the twins places?"
"Not quite yet, honey. Your sister can only have one person besides family in the car at a time. She has to wait a few months before she can haul all three of you around."
Patricia pouted for a moment.
"Don't worry, when I have my restrictions taken off I rpomise I'll take you guys some place extra special."
"But, you'll have your baby by then, won't you?" asked Patricia almost whining.
I looked down for a moment, thinking "she's right, in six months I'll be a mother. That's going to change everything."
After a minute I spoke up "Don't worry, I'll find time for you guys as well."
Patricia looked up at me smiling as my number was called, so my picutre could be taken for my driver's license. I stood against a wall with a blue backdrop behind me and smiled as a man at a desk facing me snapped my picture. Within five minutes my name was called and I picked up my new license that I would show my dad, Adalyn, Breann, Thani, and of course Hayden when I got home. I had to call Alicia and Mandi to tell them the news as well.
My mom handed me the keys to the car and said "It's your turn. Just don't kill us my mom joked."
"Don't worry," I snickered "Must be doing something right if I passed on the first try."
I put the keys in the ignition and shifted the car into reverse as I backed out of the parking space.
"By the way," my mom said "I got a surprise for you at home."
"What's that?" I asked.
"Oh, you'll see, honey. You'll see."
***
When I pulled into the driveway a petite, light blue car that was not there before sat in the drive way. It had a missing hub cap and one of the doors was dark green with a dent in it, but it had character. My dad sat outside on the front porch. He had gotten off of work early today. I looked up at my parents than at the car.
"Is this really for me..." I hesitated "How did you come up with the money?"
My dad chimed in "The car's from all of us, me, your mom, Brad, Mandi, and even Alicia chipped in. They sent us the money and your mom and I went to pick out a car for you this morning."
"Does that mean..."
"Yes, Kristen. I took the day off of work just for you."
I ran up to my father to give him a hug and asked "You know I passed, right?"
"Now I do." my father said, almost laughing.
"Look in the back seat as well." my mother chimed in.
I got up and walked back over to the car. In the back seat, right behind the driver's seat was a navy blue carseat with white polka dots on it. The seat was all fastened in, so I wouldn't have to go through the frustration of fastening in the seat myself for the first time, and it would be all set to go when the baby was born.
"Mandi used to use that one for Alex, but he's too big for it now," my mom said "She figured she'd give it to you."
"Oh my god," I shirked " Thank you, thank you to them and both of you. I can't beleive you all did this for me."
"By the way, Kristen," chimed in my dad "Someone from the *grocery store Breann works at called. I think her name is Kendra. She wants to schedule and interview with you sometime this week. I think she said around three or four tomorrow. That should work for you, right?"
"Yeah," I said "I'll call them back when I get in the house."
I opened the front door and a swarm of people popped out of hiding screaming in unison "Happy birthday Kristen!"
I could see Adalyn, Breann, Thani, even Hayden, and Mandi, Brad, Alex, and even Alicia managed to show up. I stood in the doorway still in shock, yet amazed to see everyone who had showed up to celebrate my sweet 16. Until now I had thought I was too old for surpise parties, but had come to realize this was one of the best surprises I had ever experienced in my entire life.
"Just wait a minute," I said "I need to make a quick phone call and then we can have fun."
Everyone came out frim thier hiding places and started talking and hanging out in the living room while I went into the kitchen to give Kendra a call back about the interview. When I dialed the number for the grocery store the phone rang just twice and right away Kendra picked up.
"Hi, it's me Kristen," I said "I'm calling about the interview tomorrow. Is 4:00PM still open?"
"Yes it is" replied Kendra.
"Thanks." I replied.
"I'll have you down for four then," replied Kendra "goodbye."
I stormed back into the living room to tell everyone the good news about getting my license and the interview all in one day. Today had to be one of the best days of my life. I noticed Alicia socializing with Adalyn, Breann, Thani, and Hayden at the dining room table.
"Kristen," I heard Alicia say "I hear that Hayden really likes you."
I could see Hayden blushing across the room, and I was probably blushing as well. Alicia was interrogating him continuously with questions. I guess she wanted make sure he wasn't going to hurt me. She continued on with questions like what are your intentions with Kristen, how did you two meet, do you care that she's pregnant, and so on, and from the looks of it she approved of his answers.
Alicia walked over to me and whispred "Looks like a keeper for now, but I'll still be looking out for you, even if I'm not right there. By the way I got another detention for sticking up for you last week. Cassidy and Kateena started making up rumors about you sleeping with multiple guys from your new school, and that the only reason you don't know who your baby's father is, is because you're an irresponsible slut, which I know is abolutely not true. So, I decided to tell them off in Spanish, during spanish class, using a few choice Spanish swear words, and lets just say Senorita Green didn't approve of my use of the Spanish language so she gave my a week of detention."
"Alicia," I said "I thought you were the good girl. Now you're getting suspended and serving detentions just to stick up for me?"
"Don't worry, Kristen. The punishments don't bother me. It's what those bitches are saying about you that bothers me, and even though some would consider me a straight-laced good girl, even you have noticed that I have a very hot temper."
"Ha, I forgot about that. You're the last person I'd want to get pissed off."
"Exactly." Alicia replied.
After Alicia spoke to me alone the two of us went back to join the rest of the group. Adalyn was playing with Alex while Brad and Hayden were discussing music. Mandi, Thani, and Breann we're all laughing at political jokes they were sharing back and forth about the current president.
"Less than a month and he'll be outta there!" said Thani.
"Finally," Mandi chimed in "Eight years of living under that idiot's reign is just too long."
Alex was showing Adalyn tow of his toy cars, one was red and one was blue.
"I like the blue one." said Alex.
"Can you show me which one the blue one is?" asked Adalyn holding the two cars in each of her hands.
Alex pointed to the car in her left hand which happened to be the blue one.
"That one," he said pointing his finger "It goes fastest."
"Are you sure?" asked Adalyn.
Alex nodded his head.
"You want to race?" asked Adalyn.
Alex nodded again bobbing his head up and down.
"Now you take the blue car and I'll take the red, and when I say go we push them across the floor."
Adalyn and Alex set the two cars down on the floor.
"Ready...Set...and...Go!" shouded Adalyn as the two of them pushed thier cars across the floor.
Alex was right. The blue car did go faster.
"Smart kid you got there." Said Adalyn.
"Thanks," Mandi replied "He's not even three yet."
From the living room my mom yelled "Kristen, time to open your presents!"
Everyone stormed back into the living room fighting over chairs and couches while they all left the large reclining chair in front of the television and next to the couch open for me.
The first present I opened was from Adalyn. It was a set of two photo albums, one for memories with friends and family and one for the baby. The next present from Breann was a scrapbook that came with a variety of stickers and decorations. From Thani I got a pair of slippers with cats on them and a matching bath robe. From Mandi, Brad, and Alex I got yet another accessory for my car: a mirror to put in fornt so I could look at the baby while I was driving. From Alicia I recieved a best friends forever jewlery set with a necklace and bracelet along with a yellow stuffed giraffe for the baby. From my parents I'd recieved a green blanket my mom had made herself with a duck on it. The final gift I opened was from Hayden. It was in a small box wrapped in multiple layers of wrapping paper and tissue paper. When I opened it there was a silver plated bracelet with my name on the outside and monogram earrings and a necklace with the letter "K" for Kristen on them. At first I was a little hesitant, but overjoyed as well. I'd never had a guy like me this much, let alone buy me jewelry.

No comments: