Most of chapter 14 was just written in the last thirty minutes. ;]
Chapter 13
“My little jellybean” I said pointing to the ultrasound pictures just before health second hour started.
“You can see one of the little arms, it’s sticking out,” said Hayden smiling. “Know what you’re having yet?”
“I’m barely three months along. I’m not going to know until the end of next month or the beginning of November, but I have a feeling it’s going to be a girl.”
“What makes you think that, Kristen?”
“I just tend to know these things. I’ve never been wrong about the babies in my family.”
“So what if it’s a boy?” Hayden asked as he looked through the ultrasound pictures.
“Then it’s a boy,” I said “Then I can say that for once I was wrong. I don’t care what the gender is, as long as my baby is healthy.
“Come on, Kristen. Every mom-to-be says that,” said Hayden as the bell rang. He handed me a note as we got ready to leave class “Read this when you have the chance.”
“But it’s true.” I reached in my backpack for my health folder and put the ultrasound pictures back in the front pocket so my folders and textbooks wouldn’t ruin them. I still had to show the pictures to Adalyn, Breann, and Thani. I was off to English, then Geometry. We only have homeroom on Friday and today is Tuesday.
In the middle of one of Ms. Rahe’s lectures I took out the note that Hayden handed me at the end of first hour. It was on lined, college ruled paper with an off white tinge, probably the eco-friendly recycled paper. I pulled open the note and read to myself “If you ever need someone to talk to call me.” He left a house and cell phone number where he could be reached. I folded the note and placed it in my purse in the pocket where I keep my cell phone, and brought out one of my own pieces of paper. I’d give Hayden both of my numbers as well.
I didn’t know whether Hayden was serious about me calling him. He was nice and all, but I always get so nervous when I call someone new. My voice gets small, and I sound like I’m five. Even when relatives that I haven’t seen in a long time call the same thing happens, and they think I’m Patricia. I don’t know why I should be so afraid of calling people. Maybe I just don’t want to be rejected. I highly doubted that Hayden would call me. He probably didn’t even like me the way I wanted him to.
********
At lunch today Breann handed me a job application from the bookstore. It was a basic white, double-sided sheet of paper that asked for basic information, work experience, and references.
“You know your social?” asked Breann.
I nodded. It was one of those important bits of information I actually remembered. I wrote that first on the application so I wouldn’t forget. I continued filling out my name and the other information. Breann told me that since it was my first job I didn’t have to write anything in the work experience section. I wrote down Mandi and
Brad’s names for my two references.
“Just finish filling it out, and I’ll drop it off for you when I go into work today.”
“Thanks,” I said handing her the application. “I really hope I get this job.”
“Don’t worry,” Breann, replied, “I’m pretty sure they’ll hire you.”
“They won’t turn me down cause I’m pregnant, will they?”
“Stop being so negative, Kristen. You’re going to get the job!”
“Good luck.” said Adalyn in a cheerful and uplifting voice.
Thani was preoccupied with text messaging Darren. He happened to be in Advanced Physics at the moment. When he looked up he said not to worry about getting the job.
“I stop in there once a week when Breann is working. The people she works with are great, and Damien, one of the guys she works with has a nice ass.”
“Thani,” sighed Breann “You can look, but don’t touch. I’m still trying to work up the courage to ask him to homecoming. Besides you got Darren all to yourself, and I‘m pretty sure Damien likes women.”
“Damn,” joked Thani “What about friends with benefits?”
“No, Thani!” snapped Breann.
“I was just kidding.” said Thani as he sent Darren another text message. I wondered what they were texting about, but I probably didn’t want to know. It was probably the 21st century version of phone sex.
While Thani was texting his boyfriend my phone began to vibrate in the pocket of my snugly fit jeans. It was Hayden. “Mind if I come over to your table?” the message said. I stood up to search the cafeteria for him. He sat at a table in the far back corner all by his lonesome. He was biting into a chicken and cheese quesedilla. I turned to Adalyn and asked if he could come over to our table.
“It doesn’t matter to me,” she replied, “What about you two.
“I don’t object.” Answered Thani.
“Of course you wouldn’t,” said Breann “But go ahead Kristen. I’m kind of curious about this boy you’re into.”
I typed, “Yes” onto the screen of my phone and hit send. Within a minute he was walking over to our table. “Maybe,” I thought, “He doesn’t just feel sorry for me.”
Hayden pulled up a chair between Adalyn and I as he set his blue tray onto the table along with a couple of textbooks. The first minute or two after he took a seat at the table were quiet and awkward. Hayden’s eyes gazed passed each person at the table while Adalyn, Breann, and Thani had their eyes set on him. Finally Hayden spoke up.
“So, who are your friends?”
Adalyn was first to reply as she set her strawberry milk onto her tray. “I’m Adalyn.”
Breann was walking back to the table after getting rid of her tray. “And that’s Breann coming back over here.” I said pointing to her.
“Thani here.” He was last to speak as his eyes gazed up and down Hayden’s body.
“Thani,” Breann interrupted “You can’t have him.”
“So,” asked Hayden “Is this the homosexual friend you told me about?”
Thani looked up as if he was discouraged. “It doesn’t bother me,” explained Hayden “My mom’s are lesbians, just don’t try and get with me. I like women, thank you very much.”
“I figured you didn’t have a problem,” said Thani “Most of the guys in this school freak out if I even sit next to them.”
“That’s because you tend to fantasize about most of them.” Joked Breann.
“Not all of them!” Snapped Thani, “Just the hot ones, and I do have a boyfriend. It’s not like I’m gonna go ahead and try and get in some other guys pants anyways.”
“So, uh Kristen you have any plans for the weekend?’ asked Hayden.
“Not really.” I replied finishing the rest of my blue Gatorade.
“Then you want to do something, maybe on Saturday?”
“Say yes.” Adalyn whispered in my ear.
“I’m working on that!” I whispered back to her.
“Uh, sure,” I said “When on Saturday?”
“Probably Saturday evening, there’s a show I want to go to Merrill, one of my buddies from Winnebago was supposed to come up and go with me, but his parents grounded him. They found a bag of weed on him, and let’s just say they were pissed. So now I have an extra ticket.”
“I’d love to go!” I replied, as I was about to get up and get rid of my tray.
“Here, let me take that for you.” Said Hayden.
“Thanks,” I said, “Although I could’ve done that by myself.”
Hayden walked off to toss the garbage on our trays.
“I think he likes you.” Adalyn chimed in.
“I don’t know,” I said “I think he just feels sorry for me cause I was raped.”
“Kristen!” replied Adalyn “If he only felt sorry to you he wouldn’t be taking you to a concert. Besides I have a feeling he lied about his friend from Winnebago coming up so he’d have 2 tickets! I think he meant to buy one for you.”
“Maybe you’re right.” I said.
Hayden strolled back to the table. The lunch bell was about to ring.
“Before I forget, here’s the two numbers you can call me at,” I handed him the piece of paper with my phone numbers on it.
Chapter 14
Saturday came up quickly and I spent most of the afternoon getting ready for tonight. After I got out of the shower and blow-dried my hair. I brought out a flat iron that Mandi gave me before I moved. I was yet to use it, and figured that tonight I should do something different with my hair. Usually my hair was worn down in loose curls, but I’d always wondered what my hair looked like straightened. It was different, but I liked it. The straightened strands of light brown hair narrowed and outlined my face. I applied a thin layer of black eyeliner on the bottom of my eyelids along with mascara on my eyelashes. My eyeliner was paired with a rosy pink lip-gloss. I waited on the eye shadow since I still didn’t know what I was wearing yet.
Finally I decided on a gray cardigan with a teal polka-dotted tank top and a pair of jeans. I paired my usual converse all stars with that outfit, and a silver heart pendant necklace around my neck.
“I look great,” I thought even with my ever-present baby bump “I just hope Hayden thinks I look fine.”
Hayden pulled up in front of my house in a forest green Jeep with the top down. When he strolled up to my front door to ring the doorbell my mom answered.
“Kristen!” my mom yelled, “There’s a boy here for you!”
“Shit,” I thought “I forgot to tell mom Hayden was picking me up, let alone who he is.”
When I ran downstairs I saw Hayden sitting on the reclining chair talking to my parents. “She gets distracted easily,” I heard Hayden say. I could hear my parents laughing. I figured they were talking about the day in health class when I spent the whole hour staring at Hayden.
“That’s our Kristen,” my dad said “Can’t keep her mind on one task for more than a few minutes.”
“Hey now,” I interrupted “Hayden and I did get that project done for health class.”
“We did.” He said.
“So, you two,” my mom said “What our you’re plans for tonight?”
“Well,” said Hayden “There’s a concert in Merrill tonight that one of my buddies from Winnebago was supposed to go to with me, but he got grounded and couldn’t go, so I asked your daughter if she wanted to go.”
“Obviously she said yes.” My mom answered.
“Sorry,” I said “It totally slipped my mind for me to mention this to you.”
“It’s fine. Just next time you want to go out be sure to let us know what your plans are. We’ll let you go tonight, but for further notice just tells us what your plans are ahead of time.”
“I’ll be sure to do that.” I replied as Hayden pulled his keys out of his pocket.
“We should really get going.”
“Just have her back by midnight,” said my dad “Call if anything comes up.”
“Don’t worry dad, I will. Anyways, see ya guys later.”
“Bye Kristen! Yelled my mom! Love you! Nice meeting you Hayden.”
“Bye” I waved as Hayden and I got into his Jeep. The top was down, for early September it was still warm. A warm breeze blew in my hair as we got on the highway.
“Have you heard of Disturbed?” Hayden asked as he pressed play on his CD player.
“Yeah,” I said “But I only know a few of their songs. I like “Down With a Sickness though.”
“We’re going to be seeing them tonight!” he explained I heard “Down With a Sickness” playing, although a bit muffled by the wind.
“Awesome!” I said even though I only knew like three of their songs. “So,” I had to ask “Was your friend from Winnebago really going to go to the show with you, or did you make that up?”
“He was supposed to go, really.” Said Hayden hesitantly.
“Right.” I said jokingly.
“No really.” He was supposed to go.”
“Come on, Hayden. I know you’re lying.”
“Fine,” he finally gave in “I purposely called the radio station to win two tickets because I wanted you to go to a show with me. I barely ever talk to any of my buddies in Winnebago. Besides mom and Melanie say most of them are a bad influence, so I’m only allowed to talk to a few of them.”
“Knew it!” I said grinning at him. “You can’t fool me. I listen to the same radio station sometimes and I knew they were giving out Disturbed tickets.
“Damn, you’re good Kristen. I just didn’t picture you as someone who was into that kind of music. You seem like you’d be into like pop or country, except the converse you wear all the time give away a little bit of a rocker edge.”
“What can I say?” I replied, “I listen to almost everything. My best friend Mandi and her boyfriend are into a lot of those bands like Disturbed, Slipknot, Metallica, and Nirvana, so that kind of music just grew on me.”
“Well, it’s good to have variety in your life.” Said Hayden as we got of the Merrill exit ramp. A few miles down the road we reached the Smith Center where the show would be. Hayden frantically searched for a parking spot while cursing under his breath at someone who stole his space. He continued searching for another until he found one three rows back from the building.
“You know, “ Hayden said “This isn’t one of those concerts where you can sit down, or where all you do his hold a lighter up in the air. There’s a mosh pit and a lot of people jumping around and acting crazy. Sometimes the band members throw guitar picks and drumsticks out in to the crowd. You sure you’re going to be okay?”
“I’ll be fine. I just won’t go after the drumsticks, and I’ll stay out of the mosh pit.”
“Good idea,” Hayden replied “I don’t want you hurting jelly bean. I‘ll stay out of the mosh pit with you.”
“You can do what you want, Hayden. Just because you brought a pregnant chick to a rock concert doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time.”
“But I will have a good time, I’m with you and you’re awesome,” Hayden lit a cigarette “I’m going to have one before the show.”
“That’s fine,” I said as I thought about Hayden saying that he’d have a good time just being with me “I’m the only one whose really not supposed to have one,” the smoke made me cough a little bit and the smell was nauseating, yet I still let him continue smoking.
Drag after drag until I felt puke crawl up my throat I told Hayden to step out of the jeep.
“I’m almost done,” he said holding up his nearly finished cigarette.”
“Sorry,” I replied “The smell was really bothering me.”
“It’s fine Kristen. You’re the pregnant one, not me,” Hayden tossed his cigarette on the ground and stomped on it “Now let’s have a good time tonight.”
I nodded, “Right.”
The two of us handed our tickets to a security guard in front of the concert hall. A group of seniors from school were at the show along with many people I’d never met before. Everyone crowded together packed like sardines awaiting Disturbed to run onto the stage. Stage crew and tech people were out making sure all the mics worked and setting up for the show as voices roared in the auditorium. Not a single fan was sitting down. In the back of the auditorium was a display of band merchandise including t-shirts, posters, their newest CD and various other band merchandise. Hayden and I were standing near the back observing everyone that past by.
I took one of a few seats in back next to Hayden. While observing the crowd of people Hayden wandered off, but within minutes he was behind me. I felt something soft and cotton land on my head. The cotton was somewhat stiff and black. I pulled it off of my head to see that is was a t-shirt. Size medium.
“You didn’t have to,” I said modestly as Hayden sat next to me again.
“Everyone needs a souvenir from their first rock show. I figured I’d buy you something. The size is good, right?”
“It’s fine. I’m usually a small, but if I’m going to wear it over the next few months a medium is probably best. I think it helps that I have a long torso too.”
“Put it on, Kristen. I want to see how it looks on you. But you can take it off during the concert, It’s kind of lame to wear a shirt with the band you’re going to see on the front of it. They obviously know you like them if you’re at their show.”
Off went my cardigan that I handed to Hayden. I tried the short on over my tank top. It landed at my hips although it was a little loose.
“Looks great,” Hayden said “If you want to put your sweater back on I’ll put your shirt and bag in the car. You could easily lose your purse at one of these concerts. Besides, I have to flip the top up on the jeep.”
“Thanks,” I said Modestly “I’ll wear it Monday,” I handed him the black purse I carried with me and my t-shirt that he exchanged me for my sweater.
When the show started Disturbed came running out onto the stage starting off with “Down With a Sickness.” Fans were yelling and screaming, some held glow sticks in the air. The whole place was sweating hot, but the environment was fun and upbeat. Hayden and I remained near the back until later on during the show when Hayden was sent crowd surfing.
He went missing for a good ten minutes and five minutes after I lost him the drummer tossed a drumstick into the crowd. People leapt to the ground, piling on top of each other to get the drumstick. A pile of people were still fighting on the ground for the drumstick when I saw Hayden fighting his way through the crowd to reach me. He was holding the drumstick in his hand, tightly against his body.
“Boy, you worried me.” I snapped
“But, I got you something else.” he replied.
“But it’s yours. You caught it, “I said “I’d feel bad.”
“Kristen, I’ve caught a few other drumsticks, so don’t feel bad. This one is a small memento for you.”
“Thank you.” I replied.
After Hayden caught the drumstick the show continued for another hour. Afterwards it was just five minutes before eleven. My parents had given me until midnight, so the two of us had plenty of time to get home, so we stopped at Perkins to split an appetizer platter
The waitress came up to our table and asked the two of us wanted to drink
“Chocolate milk,” I replied “Hayden, I’ll pay for my drink.”
“It’s on me, Kristen. The whole night’s on me. Oh, and chocolate milk for me as well.”
“Copy cat.” I said.
The waitress was giggling under her breath “Be out with you drinks in a minute.” she replied.
“What?” Hayden asked “Chocolate milk sounded good.”
“At least you’re not having some sort of intense craving for it like I am.”
“That’s true, for me it just sounded good. You on the other hand might get a little irritable if you don’t get what you want,” Hayden joked.
“Hey now,” I said, “But I have to ask you something. Why out of all your other friends did you choose to invite me to that Disturbed show with you?”
Hayden turned away and started to scratch at the back of his neck, “Well, um, do you want the truth?” he asked.
“Be honest.” I said.
“That first day we talked in health class you really caught my attention. You were quiet and mysterious, and not to mention stunning. I wanted to get to now you, and I might not have a lot of school spirit, but home coming is the beginning of next month already. I wanted to get to know a girl and have a wonderful time with her at a dance, have dinner with her you know?”
“So, does that mean, you want to take me to home coming as well?” I asked.
“Yes, Kristen. I do want to take you to home coming. We‘ll even go to the game together on Friday night. All I need is an answer from you.”
I paused for a moment, and thought “He actually likes me, and I like him too. Maybe he hasn’t been so nice out of pity.”
“Yes,” I answered as the waitress brought our food and our chocolate milk.
“Enjoy you two,” she said as she walked away.
Everything on the platter was split evenly except for the onion rings. The two of us picked up the last one and started tugging on it until we split it in half.
“That worked out well,” joked Hayden as he ate his half of the onion ring.
I checked the time on my phone, “11:38PM” it read, “We should really get going so my mom and dad don’t get worried,” I said “I’ll leave the tip.”
“Don’t worry, Kristen. It’s on me,” Hayden pulled a five dollar bill out of his wallet.
We went up to pay for our food, and Hayden decided to buy six cookies, “They’re buy three, get three free.” Hayden said
“I want at least one peanut butter cookie,” I replied “The rest you can pick.”
“So, for her I’ll get a peanut butter cookie, a sugar cookie, and an oatmeal cookie. Same ones for me, except I want a chocolate chip instead of the peanut butter.”
The woman behind the counter picked up each one of our cookies and placed them in a bag.
“There you go,” she said “Have a great night.”
“You too,” Ayden replied as we walked out the door to his jeep.
I took my peanut butter cookie out of the bag and started to nibble on it. Hayden was putting in one of his Cds and starting the car. The two of us pulled out of the parking lot and headed home.
“Know what some bitch I was at the party with said?”
“What,” Hayden asked lowering the volume on his stereo.
“Bitch said I deserved to be raped, and my best friend Alicia back in Sheboygan gave her a black eye.”
“Way to go Alicia,” Hayden said “If I were there I would’ve done the same thing, even if I got in trouble for it. I’m numb to discipline, you know?”
I nodded, “Alicia got a three day in school suspension, for sticking up for her best friend. She’s very studious, so if she misses a few days she’s not going to have a problem getting her grades back up.”
“I’m working on being like your friend Alicia,” Hayden replied “You mind helping me?”
“Well, sure,” I said “But I don’t quite have a 4.0 g.p.a like she does.”
“I’m sure you’ll be just as helpful.”
“If you insist,” I replied as I took another bite out of my cookie.
The Abbotsford exit was in clear view, and the two of us were almost home. That night I did not want to leave Hayden’s side. He showed me the most fun I’ve had in a long time, and what it’s like to have a guy care about you. I doubt he only feels sorry for me. Adalyn was right. I think Hayden really does like me.
He pulled up into my driveway.
“I don’t want to go home yet. We’re having to much fun.”
“Wish I could keep you out longer too, Kristen,” He had a sorry look on his face “But it’s 11:58, and your parents wanted you home by midnight. If it makes you feel better I’ll walk you to the door.”
“That would be great,” I said as the two of us got out of the jeep. Hayden took me by the hand, and together we walked up the stairs.
“Right on time,” my dad said as we opened the door “You’re a good man.”
“Uh, thanks, Mr. Thorne. The two of us had a great time.”
“So, what did you guys do,” my mom asked. She was in the kitchen putting away dishes.
“We went to a Disturbed concert,” I started out saying, “I didn’t go into the mosh pit, but Hayden did. He caught the drumstick they threw into the crowd, and he gave it to me. He even went crowd surfing, and he also bought me a t-shirt. Then we went out to eat at Perkins and shared an appetizer platter. We both had chocolate milk to drink, then we got cookies. He paid for everything, and I felt kind of bad. But, he asked me to home coming.”
Hayden stepped behind me and Modestly turned away, “Did you now,” my dad asked Hayden “You paid for everything and that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I’m really glad my daughter met you.”
“Uh, thank you,” Hayden replied “I have to get going now, I’ll see you Monday,” Ayden wrapped his arms around me to give me a hug. I hugged back.
“I’ll see you too,” I replied as I dragged myself upstairs to my bedroom “Goodnight mom, goodnight dad. It’s been a long night and I’m tired.”
“See you in the morning, Kristen.” my mom said.
Once I was in my room I took off my clothes. I started touching jelly bean. “Hayden would make a good father,” I whispered to the life growing inside of me.
I threw on an old t-shirt and pajama shorts, and I pounced into my bed. Awake I laid for a good ten minutes, and before I shut my eyes I whispered “Hayden, I love you.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OMG! write more! write more! I need to read what happens next! Awsome! Great! Keep it up!
Crystal
Post a Comment